In 1939 World War II began when the Germans invaded Poland. In lieu of sending soldiers, President Roosevelt sent equipment to the Allies to avoid casualties. During that time, the military was primarily driving motorcycles and Ford Model Ts. Recognizing the need for a light reconnaissance vehicle, the Army Quartermaster Corp. requisitioned and tested prototypes from 3 auto manufacturing companies: Ford, Willys, and Bantam.
The 1941 Ford GP was Ford’s second prototype vehicle developed for the war effort. Small in size and light in weight, these new vehicles were designed to carry out a number of duties including quick troop transport, towing anti-tank guns and other light auxiliary and artillery pieces. Highly maneuverable and versatile in operation, these vehicles proved worthy right from the start. The Ford GP originated many of the design features that became part of the standard World War II Army Jeep®. Many features of the Ford GP found their way into the final wartime design.
This new revolutionary type of military vehicle played a major role in the nation’s defense effort allowing the soldiers to traverse any type of terrain. Most of the Ford GPs were eventually sent to England, Russia, and other Allies under the Lend-Lease program.
- Ford script embossed on rear tail panel
- Engine could be started with a hand crank
- Ford truck instrument cluster in center of dash
- 1 manual windshield wiper on driver side
- Recessed headlights
- Pintle towing hook to haul trailers and artillery
- Black out lamps in front and rear
|Engine Options||Fordson N tractor engine, 45 hp & 84 ft./lbs. torque|
|Transmission Options||Ford GP-7000, 3 speed manual transmission|
|Transfer Case||Spicer 18|
|Rear Axle||Spicer 23-2, 4.88 ratio|
|Front Axle||Spicer 25, 4.88 ratio|
|Height||65 in., with top up||Curb Weight||2,150 lbs.|